Move On When Ready Program

Current Students

Other Questions?

We're sure you have questions about some of the programs, procedures and opportunities associated with Move On When Ready. Here's a list of common topics. Click on each topic to read a number of questions and answers related to that topic. In addition, the answers to many of your questions about GPC programs and procedures can be found on the GPC website by clicking on items from the drop-down menus that appear when you move your cursor across the gold bar at the top of the website. You can also search a list of over 300 questions and answers about many topics of interest to GPC students.

Remember that your MOWR coordinator is available to answer questions specific to you.

Application  | Grades | GPC JCard and HigherOne Card | Classes, Instructors, and Textbooks | MOWR | MOWR Program  | Classes, Instructors, and Textbooks | Comparison of Move On When Ready and AP (Advanced Placement)


How can I check the status of my application? 

Go to You will need your GPC ID number and your birth date.  You can also obtain your GPC ID number at this site.


Are the immunizations required for college admission different from those filed at my high school?

Yes, in most cases, colleges require more immunizations than public and private high schools.  Go to the Student Health Center website to view the list of required immunizations.  Commonly missing vaccinations are the two immunizations for chicken pox (varicella) or proof of the disease and a tetanus immunization within the last ten years.


What’s my GPC ID number? 

Go to to request your GPC ID.  Your GPC ID number is assigned as soon as you apply to GPC.  It is used to maintain all your student records rather than using your social security number.


What’s my PIN? 

Until and unless you change your personal identification number, your PIN will be your birth date in the form mmddyy.  If you have forgotten your PIN, any page on the GPC web site where you are required to enter your PIN will also have a way for you to retrieve your PIN.


GPC thinks I’m an out-of-state resident but I’ve lived in Georgia all my life.  How did this happen? How do I get my resident status changed?

The answers to the residency questions on the GPC application are used to make the determination as to whether a student is an in-state or out-of-state resident.  Not answering some of these questions is often the reason students are coded as out-of-state. 

Individuals who are classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes by the College, but who claim to qualify as instate, must file a Petition for In-State Tuition. Residence status for tuition purposes is not changed automatically. The burden of proof rests with the student to demonstrate that he/she qualifies for in-state tuition under the regulations of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. A completed Petition for In-State Tuition and all supporting documentation must be submitted to the office of Enrollment and Registration Services on your campus.  A copy of the petition is available at  Call your campus ERS office for more information.


Do I need to get the minimum scores on both parts of the SAT and both parts of the ACT?

You can use either ACT or SAT scores for admission to the Move On When Ready program. You need a combined SAT Critical Reading and SAT Math score 980.  In addition to the 980, you must have scores of at least: Critical Reading 480 and Math 500.  If you choose to use ACT scores for admission, you need a ACT composite score of 20 with minimum scores of ACT English 20 and ACT Math 21.


I don’t have the minimum GPA and/or test scores.  What can I do?

If you have taken the SAT, then take the ACT.  You can take a practice course and retake the SAT or ACT.  Send us the new scores. Work on getting a B average in your core courses.  Submit your high school transcript with your most recent grades. If you bring your grades up in the fall of your senior year, then you can be a MOWR student for just one semester in the spring of your senior year.


Do I need to take the writing portion of the SAT or ACT?

The writing scores from ACT and SAT are not used for admission purposes.



How/when do the grades get sent to my high school? 

After the end of each semester (about one week after the exam period ends) the grades are sent to the high school counselor or registrar for posting on your high school transcript.  Only letter grades are reported from Georgia Perimeter College.


Can I get a mid-term grade report? 

Mid-term grade reports are not available.  You are responsible for keeping track of the assignment grades you receive during the semester.  You are expected to track your own progress through a course.


How do I send my grades to other colleges?

Move On When Ready students must order official transcripts from Georgia Perimeter College to be sent to other colleges.  The high school transcript cannot be used for college credit; only a GPC transcript will ensure that the credits are accepted.  To order a GPC transcript online go to


Do my grades transfer or just the credit?

Grades received by GPC students, if transferred to another USG institution, count towards their overall GPA (HOPE GPA)  but do not count toward their cumulative GPA at the other school.

Many other USG institutions, state colleges and universities will accept the credits.  However, all colleges and universities have their own policies on the transfer of credits from other colleges.  It is recommended that you talk with an admissions counselor at the college you are interested in to confirm their policy on acceptance of MOWR credits.



GPC JCard and HigherOne card

What is the difference between the JCard and the HigherOne Account card?

The JCard is the ID card for GPC students, staff, and faculty.   It identifies you as a GPC student and is required to use the library facilities or attend college events or get a parking permit.  It can be linked to a Wells Fargo checking account and used as an ATM card.  Or it can be loaded with money and used on campus as a pre-paid debit card.

The HigherOne card is the way GPC has chosen to return money to students.


I lost my JCard card.  What do I do?

ID cards can be obtained on all campuses.  Your Student ID Card will NOT require revalidation each semester or when you return after an absence from campus.  There is an initial $10 charge for the JCard. If you lose your card, you may replace it for a $10 charge.


I received a HigherOne card in the mail?  Now what do I do?

You will have to log into the HigherOne website to activate your card and choose how you would like to receive your funds.  For more information,


I think I threw out my HigherOne card.  Now what do I do?

Contact Student Accounts on your campus to order a replacement card.



The MOWR Program

Do I have to fill out a MOWR application each semester?

Yes, a new MOWR application must be submitted each semester.  The applications are course specific.


When do I have to complete my MOWR application?

As soon as you register for the GPC courses you will be taking, you should complete your portion of the MOWR application and let your high school counselor know.  You must know what courses you are taking because the payment is course specific.


When will I get my books MOWR?

The MOWR process is a multi-step process that involves you, your high school, the college, and Georgia Student Finance Commission.  Your books will be available at the campus bookstore 72 hours after you register for classes with your MOWR coordinator. You must take to the bookstore a completed bookstore agreement form, as well as a printed copy of your schedule signed by your MOWR coordinator.



Classes, Instructors, and Textbooks

How many classes can/should I take?

There is no minimum. You can take one, two, or up to fifteen credit hours per semester and still be covered by MOWR funding. The choice is up to you!


How do I know what classes are available and when the classes meet?

Log into, place your cursor over Registration in the gold bar at the top of the screen, a drop-down menu will appear, click on Class Schedules and follow the information on this page.  There are directions on how to read the class schedule and how to search the schedule.  MOve On When Ready students do not register online but must make an appointment with their Move On When Ready Coordinator to be registered for classes. However, you should choose the courses that will fit into your high school schedule before you meet with your Move On When Ready Coordinator.


How can I find out my teacher’s email address?

Email addresses for faculty are available on the GPC website on the drop-down menu under About GPC found on the gold bar at the top of the home page.  The direct link to the email directory is:

Your instructor’s mail address is often included in the syllabus.


How do I get my textbooks?  How do I know which books to buy?

You have a choice regarding when you obtain your text books: you can get them before classes begin or you can wait until the first day you go to class. If you want to obtain books before class begins, take your signed schedule and MOWR bookstore agreement form to the bookstore during their regular business hours.  If you wait until the first day of class, the required books will be listed on the syllabus for each class.  Books can be obtained in a GPC bookstore.


Can I drop or withdraw from a class? What’s the difference?

If you wish to “drop” a class, you must do so before the end of the college “drop/add” or “schedule adjustment” period, usually a few days after the beginning of each semester.  If you drop a class, you don’t pay for it and the class never appears on your official transcript. 

If, however, you decide to withdraw from a class after the “drop/add” period, it is called a withdrawal.  If you withdraw before the midpoint of the term, your GPA will not be affected. The last day to withdraw from a class without penalty is the midpoint of the term.  If you withdraw after the midpoint of the term, you will receive a WF and it will count in your GPA just like an “F.” 

You may not withdraw from classes without the permission of the Move On When Ready Coordinator. You will be responsible for any tuition and fees associated with a class from which you have withdrawn. See the college withdrawal policies.  Withdrawals can affect your high school graduation.

IMPORTANT: You will be responsible for paying full tuition and fees for any course from which you withdraw.  MOWR will not pay for classes that you don’t finish. 


How do I remember when to do things?

The academic calendar is on the GPC website.  It tells you all the important dates you need to know including the first and last day of class, when the midpoint of the semester is, when exams begin, when fees are due, when the Regents’ test is, etc. 


Are my college records private?

When you applied to GPC, you were issued a Student ID number (all GPC ID numbers start with 900) to protect the security of your social security number.  This number is used for all GPC records.

Federal regulations (FERPA, the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) prevent us from speaking to your parents.  If your parent wants to talk to your teacher about you, you must be present and give your permission for the instructor to speak to your parent. Move On When Ready coordinators are allowed to discuss your academic and disciplinary records with your high school counselor.


What about accommodations for disabilities?

If you have a documented disability and need extended time on tests or other accommodations, visit the Center for Disability Services on your campus.  Please make an appointment with the CDS coordinator to discuss your situation. It is your responsibility to obtain the help for which you are eligible.  The accommodations for disabilities are different for college students than for high school students.  Move On When Ready students are treated under college regulations.


Can I take classes online?

Yes, however, online classes are NOT recommended for Move On When Ready students. You must be a highly motivated learner and love sitting in front of your computer to be a successful online learner. Don’t think it is going to be easy!  There is still a schedule that must be adhered to and specific assignment dates that must be met.


Do I have to come to Orientation?

All students must complete a face to face orientation with their Move On When Ready Coordinator.  The orientation will familiarize you with the requirements for MOWR (to get your courses paid for with MOWR funds), academic expectations, privacy of college records (parents do not have open access to records of their students enrolled in college courses), as well as a variety of other information designed to improve your experience as a first-time college student.



MOWR, Move-on-When-Ready

Is GPC participating in Move-on-When-Ready?

Yes, contact the MOWR coordinator on the most convenient campus for further details.


What are the admission criteria for the Move-on-When-Ready program?

GPC has one Move On When Ready program with one set of admission requirements.


What is the cost of participating in the Move-on-When-Ready program?

For students who are eligible for the MOWR funding option, tuition and standard fees are paid by the Georgia Department of Education for eligible courses.



Comparison of Move On When Ready and AP (Advanced Placement)

What’s the difference between AP and Move On When Ready classes?

When students are enrolled in high school as well as Georgia Perimeter College, the classes that they take at GPC are college classes taught by college faculty. In comparison, AP classes are an advanced high school class taught by high school faculty with training in teaching AP classes.  College classes meet fewer times per week and usually require more motivation on the part of the student than AP classes.


Won’t I get college credit whether I take a GPC class or an AP class?

Credit for an Advanced Placement class is awarded by colleges according to how well you do on a one-time end of the course test.  Each college has different standards for whether they award credit for an AP test score.  A minimum score of 3 is required for credit from any college. Credit for a college class is awarded according to the grade that you earn in the class.  In most cases, a C is required for the credit to transfer.  AP classes usually require two high school semesters of instruction and will earn only one semester of college credit. 


Don’t colleges want to see AP courses on my high school transcript?

What colleges look for is the rigor of the curriculum and the high school GPA.  Advanced placement classes have the reputation for indicating rigor of curriculum; however, the standards for qualifying for an AP class are set by each high school.  Students enrolled in college classes while still in high school have met admission criteria set by the University System of Georgia for USG institutions state-wide. As more and more students are encouraged to take AP classes, the pass rate (3+ on a scale from 1-5) is dropping for most high schools.


Should I take college English if I took AP Language in my junior year?

Your decision should be based on what your objectives are. Some of you are interested in obtaining college credit for your English courses and getting a jump start on college while others of you are interested in having AP classes on your high school transcripts. Both paths will improve your reading and writing skills and give you a good foundation for the rest of your college courses.

If you are interested in college credit, then you should take the college English classes.  A passing score on the AP Literature test (3, 4, or 5) will give you credit for ENGL 1101.  You will take ENGL 1102 in the fall semester and a sophomore-level English class in the spring semester.  After you pass both semesters of college English, you have nine credits in English: the number of English credits required for many majors. 

At many colleges, including Georgia Tech and Georgia Perimeter College, passing both AP English tests will get you credit only for ENGL 1101.  In other words, if your AP Language test scores are 3, 4, or 5, you will get credit for ENGL 1101.  Taking AP Literature and passing the test will not get you any additional college English credit.  However, there are exceptions and you should check the AP acceptance policy of the college or university to which you are applying.  For example, the University of Georgia awards credit for ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102 if you score 5 on either AP test.