How to Send Material for Secure Destruction
Documents or items containing sensitive information such as (but not limited to) social security numbers and addresses must be destroyed securely and completely.
To prepare materials for destruction:
- Box up material in sturdy containers. You do not need to use records storage boxes, but the boxes should be no larger than 24” x 16” x 16”. Boxes larger than this will not be picked up.
- Mark the outside of the box with words 'destroy' or 'to be shredded'.
- Make sure the boxes are securely closed (tape if necessary).
Call or email Records Management Center to arrange to have the boxes picked up.
If emailing or leaving a voicemail, you will need to include:
- Department Name,
- Location (Campus-Building-Room Number),
- Number of Boxes, and
- Special instructions that may be necessary for delivery.
Note: Printed materials such as class schedules should be disposed of with normal trash. If you need help determining if materials should be securely destroyed check with your supervisor or contact the Records Center.