How to Retrieve Records from Storage
Records may be requested by telephone, interdepartmental mail, or email.
To request records from storage the following information is needed to locate the record.
- Record description (ex. Records Management Personnel File)
- Record name (ex. John Doe or PO # 5555)
- Date or period in which the record is included,
- Department of record originated*,
- Box number if applicable, and
- If the record is being changed from an inactive to an active file, then note whether the record will be returned.
If emailing or leaving a voicemail, you will need to include:
- Department Name,
- Location (Campus-Building-Room Number),
- Number of Boxes, and
- Special instructions that may be necessary for delivery
* The department from which the record originates is the owner of the records. Because the Records Center serves as a custodian of the records it maintains, the request for documents must be made by the department from which the record originates.