Welcome to the webpage for the Chinese program at Georgia Perimeter College. You may see below the course offerings in Chinese at Georgia Perimeter College. We offer students the Beginning and Intermediate levels of the Chinese language with a strong emphasis on written and oral expression.
Georgia Perimeter students may earn an Associate of Arts degree in Foreign Language or an Associate of Arts degree in Foreign Language with a Concentration in Business. (see GPC catalog)
At Georgia Perimeter College, we encourage student participation in language clubs and Study Abroad to stimulate further interest in a variety of cultural aspects of Chinese speaking countries and to reinforce the skills our students learn in the classroom.
Why study Chinese?
· China is one of America's largest trading partners.
· Knowing Chinese brings business opportunities
· Many U.S. companies do business in China, including Motorola, Coca Cola, and Ford.
Importance of China today
· China is the most populous nation in the world, with 1.28 billion people.
· China is one of the world's oldest and richest continuous cultures, over 5000 years old.
· Manderin Chinese is spoken by 885 million speakers, making it the most widely spoken 1st language in the world.
Course Descriptions Per College Catalog
* Check Schedule of Classes under Registration for Course Offerings each Semester. The Summer Schedule is often "subject to change" as well.
CHIN 1001 - Elementary Chinese I
This course provides an introduction to spoken and written Chinese. Using
basic grammatical patterns and a fundamental vocabulary, the student becomes
familiar with the syntax of the language. Simple texts dealing with cultural
topics are used to develop skill in reading. An accompanying workbook provides
needed practice in writing the language. The four four skills-listening,
speaking, reading, and writing- are developed simultaneously.
CHIN 1002 - Elementary Chinese II
Prerequisite: CHIN 1001 or permission of the Department Chair. This course is a continuation of CHIN 1001.
CHIN 2001 - Intermediate Chinese I
Prerequisite: CHIN 1002 or permission of the Department Chair. This course is a continuation of Elementary Chinese. The student continues with more sophisticated writing and reading materials and works increasingly with more difficult activities stressing speaking, comprehending, reading, and writing.
CHIN 2002 - Intermediate Chinese II
Prerequisite: CHIN 2001 or
permission of the Department Chair. This course is a continuation of CHIN 2001.
Cultural and literary reading selections develop a deeper insight into an
understanding of the Chinese peoples.
CHIN 2005 - Advanced Chinese I
Prerequisite: CHIN 2002 or permission of the Department Chair. This course is a continuation of CHIN 2002.
CHIN 2006 - Advanced Chinese II
Prerequisite: CHIN 2005 or permission of the Department Chair. This course is a continuation of CHIN 2005.