CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR MAJORS IN FOREIGN LANGUAGES.
A knowledge of one or more foreign languages can be useful in a wide range of careers. For some jobs, such as translating, interpreting and language teaching, language skills are one of the main requirements. For other jobs a combination of languages and other qualifications, knowledge or skills may be needed. For example, people with languages plus IT, law, finance or sales skills are much sought-after.
Georgia Perimeter College is dedicated to promoting globalization.
The GPC Foreign Language programs offer instruction in a number of languages that will prepare you for today's multicultural, multinational world. Working with several of our transfer institutions from across the USG you will see the value a second language can bring you as you move on to further your education.
* This is an accurate and updated list of careers that recent graduates from two of our major transfer institutions have successfully pursued:
• Working at the Guatemalan Consul in Atlanta
• Working for the Latin American Association of Marietta
• Working for CNN espanol in both America and Mexico
• Working for the Leadership Program for Hispanics at Shaw Industries
• Working in Human Resources at Walmat and Home Depot
• Working for the Enterprise Phone-Alpes International
• Working with Finance as a Benefit Support Specialist
• Working as a PR Specialist for Environment America and Multiple Sclerosis Society
• Working as Business Development Representatives at ALTA Language Services
• Working for Airline industries (Delta)
• Working for the Chamber of Commerce here in Georgia
• Working at various governmental levels around the world
• Working for the German Cultural Institute
• Workign as a teacher of English in Chengdu China
• Working in the Chinese Government
• Local banks, import companies, research Anthropology, Luxury hotels all over the world, financial fields, non-profits, and accounting firms around the world.
*Some of the students who pursued these careers had a combined Degree in Foreign Language and Business or Foreign Language and Education.
Links to sites with detailed information:
Work, Intern & Volunteer Abroad
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
Southern Conference on Language Teaching (SCOLT) - Career Resources
Foreign Language Association of Georgia (FLAG) - Select Links
University of Tennessee Careers in Foreign Language
Samford University - Careers in Foreign Language
U. S. Department of State Foreign Service
USAID - Careers
International Job Center
Internships - USA