GPC Common Course Outlines
Return to all courses
|This is an archive of the Common Course Outlines prior to fall 2011. The current Common Course Outlines can be found at http://www.gpc.edu/programs/Common-Course-Outlines.|
|Course Title||Diction For Singers I|
This course is one of two courses which, through the use of the International Phonetic Alphabet, serves to introduce the principles of diction for singers. All aspects are approached from the perspective of the special problems encountered in singing in Italian and English.
|Expected Educational Results|
As a result of completing this course the student will be able to:
- Identify all vowel and diphthong sounds of Italian and English by assigning symbols of the IPA to each sound and appropriate spelling.
- Identify all stop, fricative, glide, nasal, and affricate consonant sounds of Italian and English by assigning symbols of the IPA to each sound and appropriate spelling.
- Write a physical description for each IPA symbol of each Italian and English sounds.
- Write an example word or spelling for all sounds of Italian and English.
- Pronounce IPA symbols in an accurate manner.
- Transcribe assigned art-song texts into IPA symbols.
- Pronounce transcribed song texts by reading IPA symbols.
- Sing transcribed song texts with clear, accurate diction.
|General Education Outcomes|
A student who completes Diction for Singers I will be able to
- vocally communicate:
clear diction in Italian song literature clear diction in English song literature
- identify aurally, visually, and in writing: correct IPA symbols in Italian song literature correct IPA symbols in English song literature
- perform selected repertoire with correct interpretation and delivery of text
- Introduction of the International Phonetic Alphabet symbols.
- Application of IPA Symbols to the correct pronunciation of Italian.
- Application of IPA symbols to the correct pronunciation in English.
- Examination of problems specific to singing in Italian and English.
|Assessment of Outcome Objectives|
written final exam
final exam performance
Accuracy of diction of required Italian and English song and/or operatic literature for course completion is reflected in skills attained in MUSC 1780
Accuracy of diction of Applied Music Exam (jury) repertoire is reflected in skills attained in MUSC 1780
USE OF ASSESSMENT FINDINGS
Evaluation of test and jury results:
Reveal content areas that need revision, addition to, or deletion from course requirements.
Determine each student's placement in subsequent levels of study.
Last Revised: Jun. 10, 2011Return to all courses