Students interested in participating in the Federal Work-Study Program must complete the Institutional Work-Study Application and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid.
Georgia Perimeter College staff requesting a Federal Work-Study student must complete the Federal Work-Study Employee Request Form.
To be awarded Federal Work-Study, a student must:
- Demonstrate financial need based on the FAFSA for current year;
- Submit all required documents on time, including photo identification and copy of social security card;
- Be accepted or enrolled at least half-time (6 or more semester hours);
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP);
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident; and,
- Clear a criminal history check.
Salary for FWS students is $8.00 per hour. Students cannot work more than 19 hours per week.
Securing a Federal Work-Study Job
Once you have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and receive a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award offer with Georgia Perimeter College, students must complete the following steps in order to be assigned:
1. Visit your nearest Georgia Perimeter College (GPC) Financial Aid Office to let us know you want to move forward with the FWS placement process!
2. Complete and submit the criminal history form to the GPC Public Safety Office, then follow up with the Financial Aid Office within 3 to 5 business days for your results. You may continue with the placement process with satisfactory (cleared) results.
3. Next, you will complete the hiring paperwork and search for job openings. The Financial Aid representative will refer you to a department supervisor for an interview. You (the student), must contact prospective employers for an interview and present to the potential employer a Federal Work-Study Referral Form obtained from the financial aid office. As a tip, see our Work-Study Interview Guidelines.
4. After your interview, please return the referral form to the Financial Aid Office.
5. Once offered employment, your hire paperwork will be processed and reviewed for your approval to begin work (remember all required documents must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office). Then, follow up with the Financial Aid Office in approximately 10 business days for your employment identification and complete your hire process.
6. Next, you must successfully complete the required Ethics Training (two separate assessments with 80% or better and 100%). Also, be prepared to sign up for Direct Deposit for payment.
7. Before you begin work, you are required to execute a Federal Work-Study Contract. This takes place at the Financial Aid Office.
8. Finally, you may report to the assigned job on the start date provided in the contract!