Jaguar Baseball Alumni News 2011 Region 17 Champion
Jaguars from 2010 moving up to next level
Turnover and rebuilding are facts of life in junior college baseball. So as the fall scrimmage season approaches, the Georgia Perimeter College Jaguars say farewell to 19 players who have announced plans to play for other teams next season.
The 2010 Jaguars went 33-17, tied for third place in Region 17 of the NJCAA. Here’s where the rebuilding part comes in—among the departing are pitchers who accounted for 27 of those 33 victories.
At the end of the season, the conference rotation consisted of righthanders Alan Busenitz (6-1, 2.67 earned run average in the regular season), Jake Dyer (6-4, 4.08) and Bryan Benzor (2-1, 3.77). They are headed to Kennesaw State, Georgia State and Georgia, respectively.
The Jaguars also are losing lefthander Drew Johnson (4-2, 3.98) to Georgia Southern.
The opening day starter, righthander Nathan Fawbush (4-2, 3.69), was the 21st-round draft choice of the Minnesota Twins, the 645th player taken. He signed and was assigned to the rookie-level Gulf Coast League.
Reliever Rob Crosby (4-0, 3.78) is headed to Augusta State. Brandon Bast (1-2, 6.19) moves on to Georgia State, and Jared Slaven (limited to four appearances by injury) is going to West Georgia. All are righthanders.
In the field, the Jaguars are losing:
· Catcher/third baseman Blake McCullers (.385, 4 homers, 47 runs batted in) to Georgia State.
· Shortstop Dadynoel Lorenzo (.365, 3, 30) to Shorter.
· Outfielder Patrick Henry (.352, 1, 30) to Georgia State.
· Infielder/DH Hunter Pope (.350, 0, 25) to Savannah College of Art and Design.
· Outfielder Will Howard (.293, 2, 28) to Kennesaw State.
· Outfielder Drew Dentler (.269, 0, 15) to Southern Poly.
· Catcher John Doolittle (.200, 1, 7) to West Georgia.
· Infielder Blake Hudson (.200, 0, 6) to West Georgia.
Three players who didn’t appear with the Jaguars in 2010—pitchers Matt Hill and Russ Cooper and first baseman Brac Barton—also are moving on.
Hill, a lefthander, was the 33rd-round draft pick of the Texas Rangers. Barton is headed for Carson Newman, Cooper to Savannah State.
The 2010 Jaguars also had a third pro draftee—LeAndre Davis, who played shortstop, third base and a little in the outfield. The Twins took him in the 49th round, but he has said he’ll be returning to GSU.